We protect the roof over your head

Your Thatchowners buildings insurance policy protects the structure of your thatched home across a range of incidents like fire, storm damage, lightning strike or subsidence – plus a lot more besides.

Thatched Property Insurance

If you own a thatched property and are looking for a great deal on your buildings and contents insurance with a specialist in thatched properties, then look no further.

What’s included in my policy?

The buildings cover we arrange is fully comprehensive, so let’s start with the obvious stuff. Our thatched property buildings insurance covers you whether for your main home, holiday bolthole or buy-to-let rental. It could be an old property – and many thatched homes are – or a new one. You’ll be covered for the full costs of rebuilding or repair – thatch included - caused by:

  • Fire, explosion, subsidence and landslip plus storm/flood or impact by vehicle, aircraft or even animal. Civil unrest or riot too: granted, not likely but we like to cover all the bases.
  • Accidental damage to underground utilities (water, sewerage, drain and telecoms) as well as accidental escape of water or central heating oil.
  • Glass and/or frame breakage to all windows across your property – including in greenhouses or outbuildings.
  • Breakage to all your fixed sanitary fittings.

There may be exclusions if your property is in a flood risk area – but we’ll talk you through your options if it’s applicable.

For full policy details including all exclusions, please refer to the policy booklet.

How does it work?

The sum we insure for you is not the same as the market value of your home. Your thatched property buildings insurance policy needs to allow for the cost of re-building your home from scratch if the worst should occur. That means all professional fees – architectural, surveying and legal – as well as labour and material for repair or reconstruction and things like accommodation rental while the builders do their thing. These costs rise over the years so we’ll index-link your thatched property buildings insurance so your cover keeps pace with inflation.

One call to our UK-based team gets the ball rolling and our knowledgeable loss adjusters will take care of the rest. If serious disaster strikes – total rebuild or major repair - our thatched property buildings insurance covers you for:

Please refer to the policy booklet for full details of the exclusions and conditions which apply.

We are not able to provide any advice on how much to insure your buildings for. As your insurance broker we will ask that the sums insured you have provided are adequate to meet your needs. If you are unsure on what to insure your buildings for you are advised to seek the advices of a professional surveyor.
  1. Demolition, debris removal and any structural shoring-up required.

  2. All professional fees like architects, surveyors and solicitors.

  3. Alternative reasonable accommodation for you and yours while the work is done.

  4. Reconstruction costs for labour, materials and of course, the thatching.

Come and talk to one of our advisors now on 0800 612 9910. We’ll take care of the rest.

Thank you! We have received your enquiry and will respond to you within 24 hours. For urgent enquiries please call us on 0800 612 9910
Sorry, there was a problem processing your enquiry. Try again later or call us now on 0800 612 9910.

Level of Cover

Include all labour, materials, thatch, professional fees and temporary accommodation costs during repair/rebuild.

Include all your possessions and valuables that are not part of the structure of your home.

About the Property

Edit your address

About You

In addition to responding to your query submitted via this webpage, we’d like to tell you about our products or services that may interest you. Please tick if you would like to hear about these by:

We or our group companies may also send you details of the products and services of our group companies. Please tick if you would like to hear about these:

You can opt out of marketing communications at any time by contacting us.

Back to top